Providing Aggressive Defense To Help You Achieve Your Goals SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION

Think You Can Graduate from Criminal Mistakes? Think Again

July 26, 2016

Every college student knows that college life isn’t exactly easy. It is a time of discovery, uncertainty and transition between being a kid and becoming an adult. Unfortunately, too many people assume that college is an isolated time in life; that what we do and learn in college doesn’t necessarily follow us into the so-called real world.

This can be a costly misconception, particularly when it comes to criminal offenses. If you are charged with and convicted of a crime in college, it could not only destroy your educational prospects, it can also leave you with a stain on your record that follows you for years after graduation.

A criminal conviction also comes with criminal penalties, from jail time and probation to fines and community service. Having a serious offense on your record can make it difficult to find a job outside of school, and it can set you back years in your education.

You can also face school-related consequences for criminal misconduct. For instance, two college football players in Florida were recently charged with criminal mischief, a felony offense. According to news reports, they will face penalties from the football team for their actions, which could include possible suspension or even removal from the team. Such penalties can undoubtedly affect a young person’s career ambitions and potential.

Because of how much is at stake in these situations, it is critical that you take seriously your right to defend yourself if you are facing criminal allegations as a college student. It may not seem like you should have to pay the price for college indiscretions after you graduate, but you can and many people across Florida do.

If you are in college and accused of a crime or have a child in college who is facing criminal charges, it can be vital that you examine your legal options and protections with an experienced criminal defense attorney.